Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Personal Code of Ethics

My Personal Code of Ethics

1. Be truthful

“Journalism’s first obligation is to the truth” (Elements of Journalism p36). Therefore it is important to reveal the truth to society in order to benefit the people. My first concern should be to dig deeper into stories in order to divulge functional truths to society, ultimately giving them a better sense of security for their surroundings: “Truthfulness creates, in effect, the sense of security that grows from awareness and is at the essence of news” (Elements of Journalism p37). Furthermore, if I always adhere to telling the truth, I will hopefully gain the trust of my readers which is crucial for building a pristine reputation.

2. Be an advocate to society

Although most journalists technically work for their news station, their “first loyalty is to citizens”. (Elements of Journalism p52). Therefore, I must always remember to act as a voice for the people, and this can be done by covering topics that the people want and need to know about: “The notion that those who report the news are not obstructed from digging up and telling the truth-even at the expense of the owners’ other financial interests- is a prerequisite of telling the news not only accurately but also persuasively. It is the basis for why citizens believe a news organization” (Elements of Journalism p53). If I consistently make the interest of the people a priority in my journalism practices then I will not only gain more readership, but also further advance the faith that society has in journalism.

3. Remain objective

I must always keep my opinions and personal biases out of the stories that I cover. By remaining objective at all times I can cover both sides of an argument and ultimately allow the people to form their own opinions based off of what they read. “Journalists don’t tell people what to think, they just tell them what to think about.” (Author unknown). I like this quote because it highlights the importance of objectivity in journalism. As a voice for the people I will have the power to create awareness on various issues, and this should be where my power stops. I should not try to sued people on what to believe, but rather place the issues before them and allow them to make up their own minds.

4. Be independent

I must always strive to be as independent as possible when writing stories. Although I will most likely work for some type of newspaper or news station, it is crucial that I remember that I represent the people/station I’m working for. Therefore I must refrain from participating in any controversial issues or protests because these actions could result in people not trusting my work. I will aim to produce unbiased work so that my readers can make up their own minds about the issues I will cover. In addition, I need to make sure that the social media outlets that I use convey my vow for independence.

5. Be a watchdog for the public

I need to use my role as a journalist to serve the people and essentially act as a watchdog for the public. “Journalists must serve as an independent monitor of power” (The Elements of Journalism p140). This statement is important because it illustrates the idea that as a journalist I need to independently monitor the role of the government, and produce stories that highlight any corrupt actions that are taking place within the country: “… the press acts as a watchdog when it independently scrutinizes the workings of powerful institutions and provides an incentive for them to work for the public good” (The Press p 118). This statement illustrates the importance of the watchdog service which is to keep the government in check, and gain the trust of the people because they will know that journalists are striving to keep them informed.

6. Be accountable for the stories you produce

“We will be held accountable for all that we say. The Savior has warned “that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.” (Matt. 12:36.) This means that no communication shall be without consequence” (L. Lionel Kendrick). As a journalist I will need to be accountable for the stories that I produce. Therefore, if I am not certain on all the facts or information on a story then I should not produce it because it could damage my reputation. Furthermore, if something I produce raises questions, then I need to take responsibility for it and try to correct my mistake. "My belief is that personal freedom cannot grow beyond personal responsibility. The more people that learn to be fully accountable for their lives, the more freedom each of us can enjoy and the more fulfilling all of our lives will be." (Reed Konsler)

7. Do not compromise your morals for a better story

I will never compromise my morals for a better story. Growing up a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints, I have learned guiding principles that will and have helped me become a better person, as well as a better member of society. These principles can and will help me be a better journalist. I will never deny the things that I have been taught, and I will avoid situations in my work field that will cause me to leave my morals behind: “In the moral realm the only real control you have is self-control” (Jeffery R Holland).

8. Be a good writer

I will always give the people my best work. Society needs journalists who are willing to put all of their effort into creating good stories. This includes the aspect of good writing because no one will want to read anything that is not my best. In regards to good writing, Elmore Leonard once said, “I try to leave out the parts that people skip.” This quote illustrates the goal of journalism which is to create well-written stories that get people excited to read. I believe that news should be exciting for people to read and this can only be done through great writing.

9. Do good research

As a journalist I need to make sure that I have all of my facts straight before I produce a story, and this can be done through good research. “I see journalists as the manual workers, the laborers of the word. Journalism can only be literature when it is passionate” (Marguerite Duras). Although thorough research can be tedious at times, if I want to be passionate about informing the public then I need to be passionate about conducting thorough research. Furthermore, good research leads to good unbiased stories which society needs in order to trust journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment